Short: V2.0 - AHI sample-editor, realtime effects, MP3, AIFF, WAV, 8SVX
Uploader: Thilo Koehler
Author: Thilo Koehler (support hd-rec de)
Samplemanager 2.0 (1997-2008 by Thilo Koehler)
Please email bug reports or suggestions to support hd-rec de.
See also http://samplemanager.hd-rec.de for updates.
Samplemanager is a tool to convert and manipulate audio samples
in the Aegis Audiomaster style. It is RAM based, so
it is extremely fast but you need enough fast ram.
Special features are the Undo-History, many, fast and quality
realtime FX (100% assembler) like Compressor, Enhancer and
Autotune. It is meant to be a quick and easy editor with
some powerful but easy to understand features.
I stopped developing it because of some other more important
projects like the HD-Rec MIDI/audio sequencer, but bugreports
or suggestions are always welcome.
- any Amiga with OS 3.x and AHI 4+ installed.
- 8MB of free RAM (min 64MB if you want to edit songs in CD quality)
- thinpaz/8 font
- helvetica/13 font
- mpega.library for MP3 import
- ptplay.library for MOD import
- blademp3.library for MP3 export
- reads/writes AIFF, WAV, MAUD, 8SVX, CDDA, RAW, SysEx, MP3
- realtime effects like compressor, stereo spreader, equalizer, auto tune ...
- audio editing (cut, copy, paste, zero ...)
- complete undo history
Unarchive the LHA file and copy the drawer "Samplemanager" wherever
you want, e.g. "Work:". Samplemanager needs no assigns and uses no files
outside this directory, except the thinpaz/8 and helvetica/13 font. If you
don`t have them in your FONTS: drawer then install these fonts (you find
them also in this archive).
That`s all !
Sorry, no time for that. Find out by yourself. EMail me if you have some
Last minute tipps:
- Have a look at the history window, it is very useful !
- If you want to save a sample in a different format like the one it was when
you loaded it in, you have to go into prefs and change the "save format" options.
Otherwise it will be saved in the same format you have loaded it in.
- The "autotune" effect is a bit difficult to handle:
* set "phases" always to 8 (slow material) or to 4 (for difficult and fast material)
* set "fuzzy zone" higher if the material is too confused (blubbering).
More than 100% can produce wrong notes !
* set "filter" to something between 5 and 30. The lower values are for more sharp
and difficult material.
- "Function is not implemented !" message is not dangerous, it only means that the
function is not implemented ;-)
- Use the "Level" display in the main window to find a good value for threshold
levels. Hold down the MB (like when ranging) and watch the "Level" following
your mouse vertically. Find a good level where you want the compressor
to take effect.
- make sure that the temporary path is set to a partition with lots of free space
and it is a good idea to use your fastest drive.
- click on the "Show" button when there is no range will view the whole sample
Known Bugs and Problems
- chorus is disabled (is not working bugfree)
- now opens only on WB
- needs at least 640x400 screen and has fixed GUI
Q: I found a bug - should I report it?
A: Yes, I will do bugfixes. I am a perfectionist, no software out there that
was written by me should have known bugs. As Samplemanager is based on the
include collection for Amiblitz, bugfixes might also improve other programs
that use these includes. (Like HD-Rec, TKPlayer etc.)
Q: Will you please implement feature XZY ?
A: No. Samplemanager is a closed chapter. (ok, unless it's a really cool feature!)
Q: I want to edit huge wavesamples, they don't fit into memory!
A: Use HD-Rec. This is one of the reasons why I wrote it, rather than improving
Samplemanager. HD-Rec is much more powerful!
Alternatively, go into a computer store and get more memory. There is no excuse
to have less than 1GB memory in your computer nowadays.
Q: Can I record from my soundcard into Samplemanager?
A: Yes, from V1.9 on you can!
As I regard this project as finished nothing is planned except some bugfixes
if I have the time to do it.
If you have some audio files that Samplemanager can not load or save
correctly, I`m very interessted in fixing this problem because the
loader/saver routines are used in some other programs.
- added new audio file format for loading and saving: midi sysex sample dump
- added support for 32bit integer and 32bit float sample formats
- added mp3 export via blademp3.library
- added MOD import via ptplay.library
- rewrote image loading (new image.include)
- reacivated AHI recording! Samplemanager benefits now from the updated ahi_device.include
- overall some smaller bugfixes
- jumped over version 1.7 ;-)
- improved menu look
- increased size of buttons
- bugfixed .aiff, .8svx loaders/savers
- recompile with up-to-date Amiblitz2
- .aiff, .maud and .wav savers where broken
- Samplemanager will run even if the pattern picture is not loaded
- fixed a bug when the actual size of a resampled sample was calculated slightly wrong
- if you resample, samplemanager will adjust the playback samplerate automatically
- added support for .adc files
- auto estimation of byteorder, signed/unsigned and mono/stereo if you load raw data
- fixed a bug in rendering graphic equalizer (thanks to Heinz Süss for bug-report)
- fixed a byte-order convertion bug when loading 24bit .wav files
- recompile with improved AmiBlitz2
- fixed a bug when sample was smaller than 560 sampleframes
- added tooltype "PubScreen" to make Samplemanager open on every public screen
- recomplile with bugfixed AmiBlitz2
- set limit to "timemachine" framesize (could crash with too low framesize)
- added support for loop and rootkey infomation in .wav files, so you can edit looped samples without loosing loop information
- fix a bug in saving the disk path
- added tooltypes
* AHIUnit=... to set Samplemanagers AHI unit
* PlayBuffer=... to set Samplemanagers playback buffer in ms
* 68K_LockLayer=yes|no to toggle if layers.libbrary should be patched (benefit for AmigaOS3.x without MagicMenu)
- checked all filenames to work with case sensitive filesystems
- cached file reading for config file to gain some speed on startup
- MOS fix for String Gadgets
- changed small font from topaz/6 to thinpaz/8 (included in the archive)
- improved levelmeter to be more accurate and less flickering
- added "open as raw" loader to force raw data loading
- repalced 68K vblank code with timer.device, should now run under AOS4/MOS as well
- bumped version to 1.0
- some minor bugfixes
- uses locklayer() to continue audio output when menu is open
- increased memory limit to 1GB
- now you can use Samplemanager als external editor, it accepts filename as CLI parameter on startup
- removed all enforcer hits
- now releases obtained pens again
- some other small bugfixes
- improved speed of pattern blitting
- now switches to lower priority during longer calculations to not block the system
- added "load" button
- added "play from start" button
- startup early requester to indicate that Samplemanager is started
- speedup for start & exit
- added AHI recording (still alpha)
- removed foreward/rewind buttons as they did not work proper anyway
- added stop-play button
- added eject button
- added option in the menu to call the AHI prefs and reopen the ahi.device
- all realtime effects are switched off on startup to avoid confusion
- fixed: sometimes the autotune effect went realtime when another efect was activated
- now windows don't close if you render an effect - useful if you do many samples in a row
- fixed small bug in prefs window
- enhanced the V/U meter
- speeded up saving the button status on exit
- enhanced quality of volume change and feature to set volume higher than 100% (was broken before)
- enhanced error handling of mp3 loader (it is only asking once if an error occures)
- now uses a seperate path for save as
- load/save pathes are remembered on next session
- fixed the layout when screenfont is not Helvetica13
- added support for 24bit files (only reading)
- changed the format of the prefs and button files (sorry)
- fixed a serious bug in the colour remapping functions that could lead to crashes or wrong colours
- added option to switch undo on/off, it is very fast if you use no undo
- fixed bug in panorama and levelmeter, left & right channel were crossed
- optimized memory allocations and saved about 3MB of RAM
- fixed small bug in recognizing mpeg fileformat
- placed requesters in the screen center
- set gadtools sliders to new look style
- added some memory security checking in autotune effect
- added MP3 loader via mpega.library
- replaced old skin with 24bit skin "silver"
- runns now on workbench screen
- speedup for the background patterns
- uses now guigfx.library and render.library
- fixed bug in the "snap" function
- moved system samples to ProgDir:SysSamples for safety reasons
- added example sample
- increased y size for horizontal slider
- fixed a (non-serious) bug in the 8svx loader which was introduced in 0.10
- added shortcuts for menu functions
- replaced thinpaz/8 font to topaz6/8 because it is more usual
- fix a bug in the .wav saver for 8bit files
- added some security checks and better error messages if something goes wrong with the disk I/O
- now samplemanager lets about 1MB of fast memory free instead of 400kB
- replaced all file I/O functions to OS friendly calls in order to fix a very rare bug
- speedup for graphical waveform refresh
- fixed a bug in 8SVX saver/loader
- when the screen can not be opened on startup you will be asked for a new screenmode
- volume is now at maximum level, was only 1/4 before
- chorus is disabled for safety reasons (didn`t work anyway)
- small bugfix of the WAV loader (now checks if format is supported)
- big bugfix in AIFF loader/saver
- set the read/write buffer to 128kb (was 32kb) for speed improvement for disk I/O
- added a requester if you start Samplemanager for the very first time
- first public release
THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY
KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED
WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOU ARE
ADVISED TO TEST THE SOFTWARE THOROUGHLY BEFORE RELYING ON IT. YOU AGREE TO
ACCEPT THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE AND
DOCUMENTATION. IN NO EVENT WILL THILO KOEHLER BE LIABLE FOR DIRECT, INDIRECT,
INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES RESULTING FROM ANY DEFECT IN THE PROGRAM.